Beautiful People: August Edition
Once upon a time I was going to have this posted on a Wednesday and call it “Writing Wednesday.” It was going to be brilliant. Then life happened and I got lazy and well…Thursday is like the same thing, yeah? It is! So here it is!
This is part of the Beautiful People writing meme hosted by Cait @PaperFury and Sky @ Further Up and Further. You can find the post for the month of August right here. And then admire their button. DOO IT!!!
Here’s a little background on my characters. Because that would be awkward if I just started answering them and you had no idea who these people are. I’m currently working on an Alice in Wonderland retelling. It’s set in the future and they’re video gamers and it’s awesome (just trust me on this one). This one will be about one of the side-characters, Margo.
If you’re wondering what this would even look like, don’t worry. I have a Pinterest board for that!
1. What are they addicted to/can’t live without?
Margo loves her tools, almost as much as she loves sugar cookies. You can find her spending most of her days working on new tech for her and Alice. If it has gears in it, she loves it more. Sugar cookies shaped likes gears are also an acceptable answer.
2. Name 3 positive and 3 negative qualities about your character.
- Margo is beyond friendly. She loves people and talking to them. She’s most happy when others are happy.
- She has a way of seeing the good in every situation, sometimes to Alice’s dismay. She is a ball of sunshine wrapped in fluffy blankets with sprinkles on top.
- Margo has the patience of a saint, which is fortunate for Alice. She doesn’t mind people having short tempers and doesn’t really take insults to heart.
- Margo trusts everything and everyone. She wants the world to be a good and happy place. Can a world with sugar cookies and frosting really be that bad?
- At times, Margo can seem a little slow. Is she deep in thought? Most likely. She’s not always as lost as she seems, but she doesn’t come across like that to others.
- Margo will do anything for the ones she loves, even at the cost of her own happiness. Which isn’t really all that great if it leads to bad situations for herself.
3. Are they holding onto something they should get rid of?
Probably all of the parts in her garage. She doesn’t throw anything out because she believes she can give it all a new purpose and that each one of her pieces is a smol treasure. JUST LOVE HER JUNK AS MUCH AS SHE DOES.
4. If 10 is completely organized and 1 is completely messy, where do they fall on the scale?
A solid 3. Margo argues that she has her own organization system and that’s all that matters. Alice argues that Margo’s “system” is putting things where ever there’s room for them.
5. What most frustrates them about the world they live in?
Why don’t all of the sugar cookies have sprinkles on them? This is a serious problem for Margo. She also doesn’t like how her city is divided into Sectors. She feels like it separates the people too much. Margo would like to see Alice without having to travel clear across town. Her family’s garage isn’t all that close to her house either, which is also annoying.
6. How would they dress for a night out? How would they dress for a night in?
Margo doesn’t go out all too often, aside from going to gaming events with Alice. Alice has their whole life pretty much scheduled out and none of it involves going to parties and nights on the town. If Margo was going to go out for a night, she’d probably opt for a flowy dress with flowers on it.
When at home, Margo is usually in a grease stained t-shirt and jeans. Because the nights she spends in are spent in her garage. Sometimes alone, sometimes with Alice.
7. How many shoes do they own, and what kind?
Margo does like owning a variety of shoes. Strappy sandles, worn out trainers, her favorite fuzzy winter boots. Margo owns more shoes than is maybe necessary, but she’s okay with that. Sometimes she likes to pretend she can dress nicely without destroying her clothes with oil and grease.
8. Do they have any pets? What pet do they WISH they had?
Margo has a cat that she simply adores. Mooshi is the love of her life. Mooshi likes to explore the garage while Margo works in it. She has black and white fur, head looking as if she decided to stick it into a buck dirty car oil. Margo found Mooshi back when Margo’s family lived in the Slum Sector. Ever since, the cat stuck around Margo and refuses to leave her side when Margo is home. Mooshi is big on cuddling and having all of the attention. But she’s learned to let Margo work when she’s in the garage. As soon as Margo is done though, Mooshi swoops in and demands to be loved.
9. Is there something or someone that they resent? Why and what happened?
Margo doesn’t hold grudges against people too often, but she does have it out for the gang members that got her older brother involved in the wrong crowd. She’ll never forgive them for the death of her brother.
10. What’s usually in their fridge or pantry?
Margo is currently living with her parents, so she doesn’t have too much control over the food in the house. They’ve been on this health kick since moving out of the Slum Sector, though. Which Margo isn’t entirely a fan of. She keeps a secret stash in her room of breads and baked goods from Alice’s family’s bakery. Would her parents approve? Probably not. But Margo loves her baked goods. Especially sprinkle sugar cookies; they’re her kryptonite.
What are some of your favorite weird quirks in a character? Are you a dog person or a cat person? What’s the one food in this world you can’t live without?